Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A Speckle of Hope

came to me in the mail today. A "Notice to Report for Job Interview" from the City of LA. I called to report my availability and now I am to patiently wait for the time and date of my interview. With this position I'm am more excited about the stream of stability it will bring into my life, more than the actual job itself. Hopefully I'll be able to stand it. The over-compensated salary and superior benefits should keep me going. Transportation Engineering wasn't so bad back in college. I remember some of my classroom material, even though I was hung over most of the time.

I feel like such a Bukowski right now. Buzzin at a coffee shop and blogging only to calm down from the bad beat poker hand I suffered from the casino across the street. It's becoming habitual, but I am under control most of the time with my chips, and I have been successful overall in the past 2 weeks.

Elvis stares me down with his deep dark eyes and that curl in his lips, that honky tonk curl, while be strums his guitar. This portrait of him is symbolic of this cafe's "It's a Grind" business name. No doubt Elvis' passion for the guitar has become a Grind and his only source of income; much like poker has been for me in the past 2 months. Everyone is grinding away everyday. Everyone around me is grinding right now, not to mention the espresso beans.

I wonder if I'd be so proactive towards this engineering job if my relationship was not settling down. My engagement draws near. I left a secure engineering position in the prime of my relationship in order to be my own boss and try to make it big instead of being a 9-5 w-2 slave. I was doing allright and then the market came crashing down, I was surrounded by a bunch of hoodlums involved in more fraud than any given mafia. The shit hit the fan, but it hasn't splattered just yet. Successful poker keeps it in tacked and hire with this engineering gig shall turn the fan off and settle things down, for good...

No comments: